Comcast Software Engineer, Development Operations in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Software Engineer, Development Operations
Comcast s Technology, Product, Xperience division is transforming how Comcast customers access and enjoy entertainment, communications and home management services across all mediumsonline, mobile and TV. By assembling the country's top thinkers, we are rapidly becoming the premier environment for building and launching one-of-a-kind experiences that make everyday life easier and more entertaining for millions of customers.
The CoMPASS (Comcast Metadata Products and Search Services) team is building a world-class API platform for delivering metadata content to X1 TV set-top boxes, mobile apps, recommendation engines, and other clients. Our platform is designed to handle hundreds of millions of requests supporting millions of customers a day. In order to provide a smooth and rich experience for our customers, we focus on four primary attributes during our design and development:
- Scalability-our code is written to scale horizontally on nodes in multiple data centers to handle the large request volume.
- Performance-request responsiveness is paramount, which requires us to find solutions to persist data in memory when possible and work with various caching solutions.
- Resiliency-our services need to be able to continue serving requests even when there are dependent service outages or network partitions.
- We value delivering usable and working solutions now and iterative refinement over holding out for a perfect solution later.
- We value attitude over aptitude; no genius jerks allowed.
- We value diversity of opinion over group consensus.
- During technical discussions, no one has a title.
- We value context and responsibility over management approval and supervision.
- We value actively and humbly seeking honest feedback over preserving our egos.
- We treat customers as future collaborators rather than as tickets to be closed.
- We value making decisions with research and reason over tradition or fear; we are fans of the scientific method.
- We happily teach others the things we have learned
- Work with open-ended product descriptions and translate them into great code.
- Write production-quality, well tested code.
- Develop solutions that scale in order to support request volumes that reach into the hundreds of millions a day
- Write performant code where milliseconds matter; analyze the performance of services, identify non-performant code, and provide solutions to problem areas.
- Participate in the building of tools and processes to support the infrastructure
- Leverage scripting to build required automation and tools on an adhoc basis.
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Computer Science, Engineering
- requires 2-5 years related experience
Military Experience Valued
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer