Turner Broadcasting BIT Engineer, NY Engineering in New York, New York
Posting Job Title BIT Engineer, NY Engineering
Time Warner Division Turner
Cable/Broadcast Television Networks
Games – Development & Publishing
Area of Interest Engineering
United States - New York - New York
Position Type Full Time
Posting Job Description
The Turner Story
Turner is a division of Time Warner along with our sister companies, HBO and Warner Bros. We are better known as the folks who bring you CNN, HLN, TCM, TNT, TBS, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Turner Sports and so much more! From cutting-edge breaking news stories, up-to-the-minute sports coverage, and the characters we grew up loving on to the shows we love today, Turner continues to be the gold standard in first class television programming and a demonstrated leader in digital content. We tell the stories the world wants to hear. Won’t you be a part of our story? http://www.turner.com/
See what it’s like to work at Turner! Follow us onInstagram,TwitterandFacebook
What part will you play?
The Broadcast & IT Support Engineer will use a wide range of necessary technical skills to perform maintenance, installation, board and/or some component level repair of broadcast and IT equipment in both studio & outside broadcast facilities in a fast-paced production environment. In-house production support of live & recorded programming requires a thorough systems knowledge of broadcast IT infrastructurewhich includes:
- Technical spaces (control rooms, studios, terminal gear/equipment/central apparatus/distribution riser rooms & data centers)
- Associated production systems (A/V & data routing, signal processing, cameras, switchers, audio mixers, intercom, encoders/encoding, feeds/edit systems, master control, automation, server based playback & transmission systems, etc.)
A strong baseline IT & data networking knowledge is also necessary to work in an increasingly IP and IT centric broadcast/multimedia infrastructure.
Turner BEST teams operate within an ITSM Service Management framework, supported by common processes around planning & managing changes. Adherence to our standard ITSM processes to minimize impact & deliver value to our customers is required, including documenting issues/requests & escalating as needed for problem management & resolution via our in-house service management system(s).
While primarily providing facility-based support, there may be occasions requiring support of outside productions/events or to provide technical support to upgrade outside broadcast facilities. Any maintenance of Electronic Newsgathering (ENG) crew gear will be a shared responsibility with the field engineering team. Our Engineers collaborate with team members, clients & other support groups to troubleshoot & resolve issues with broadcast/multimedia systems & computers in our production environments. We expect our BIT Engineers to build good relationships among our client base & to provide excellent customer service.
*We operate in a 24/7 production environment. Shift work on a rotating schedule may be necessary to meet the needs of our customers.
What will you be doing?
- Support & maintain an active production facility: repair, calibration & installation of audio & video broadcast/IT equipment; including: equipment within the production facilities such as control rooms & studios (cameras, switchers, audio mixers, multi-viewers, intercom system, monitors, graphic equipment, server/playback, etc.) & related supporting infrastructure in TGR/data center & master control areas, transmission sites & throughout any broadcast infrastructure plants supported by the team (A/V routers, data routers, RF/fiber transmission, tally, signal processing gear, CATV system, etc.). Depending on your location, maintenance/repair of ENG crew gear (field cameras, mixers, microphones, lights, etc.) may be required
- Perform technical support for critical/on-air production systems. Ability to back-up or assist other support groups & clients for non-critical systems and IT/PC gear, including installation, problem correction, removal/replacement, or other tasks as necessary to ensure continuation of customer work productivity and/or on-air transmission
- Support upgrades of outside broadcast facilities, including "pool" wiring projects, and live event productions, including equipment transport, set-up, operation and breakdown
- Participate on technology design, installation, and integration projects with complex, leading-edge technology in an increasingly broadcast IP and IT centric environment, including broadcast and server-based systems, data networking (e.g., routers, switches) and other comparable equipment
- Document quality standards, system anomalies, operational procedures, reference materials, and project work. Use of 1) AutoCAD for system documentation and 2) ITSM ticketing tool to log incidents/requests. Ensure sufficient inventory of parts and technology supplies, working with procurement and asset management teams to order and track inventory
- May participate in remote assignments with engineers from across Turner. Represent the company in dynamic, multi-cultural environments and effectively interface with demanding broadcast personnel (e.g., on-air talent, producers) in a professional manner
- Manage a production site or live truck, if qualified/assigned, and document all associated expenses involved therein
What do we require from you?
- 2 or 4-year technical degree, preferably Electronics or Computer Engineering; or equivalent education/experience/training
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer desktop hardware/applications and data networking; strong IP knowledge
- Experience with post-production support a plus
- Maintenance knowledge of broadcast equipment and programs
- Ability to work all shifts associated with 24x7x365 production environments
- Must be willing to be on call for coverage of critical technical systems
- Ability to perform varied tasks, document systems and processes, adapt to changing priorities, and the ability to solve complex technical problems independently are essential to be successful in this position
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the role: bend, squat, crawl, climb, sit, stand, walk, push/pull, kneel, handle objects (manual dexterity), reach above shoulder level, use finger movements
- Must be able to meet the intellectual requirements of the role: read/comprehend, write, perform calculations, communicate orally
- Must be able to meet the environmental requirements of the role: is exposed to excessive noise, is around moving machinery, is exposed to marked changed in temperature and/or humidity, is exposed to dust, fumes, gases, radiation, microwave, drives motorized equipment, works in confined quarters
- Capable of carrying/lifting 50 lbs. and climbing ladders for equipment and cable installation assignments
Valid US Passport required But wait, there’s more!
Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2017 Best Company forWorking Mothers
- An in-houselearning and development teamto help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.