Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Algorithmic Research for Parallel-in-time Optimization in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to join our dynamic team in developing leading-edge scalable parallel-in-time algorithms for PDE constrained optimization. Are you passionate about software development, numerical experimentation, large scale simulation, and mathematical analysis? Do you dream about working as part of a multi-disciplinary team where you can thrive in an expanding, dynamic technical environment? If so, you will want to consider applying for this opportunity!
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop creative solutions to unique, challenging problems in high performance computing
- Collaborate with the team as well as other internal and external partners to apply expertise in advancing technological capabilities
- Travel as required to support current efforts
- Identify and develop new opportunities for collaboration
- PhD, conferred within 5 years prior to employment, in mathematics, computer science, engineering, or relevant technical discipline
- Evidence of relevant research achievements as proven by technical publications, presentations, and/or development of software tools
- Experience with software development and utilization of software libraries for scientific software development
- Good communication skills as evidenced by a record of publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and external presentations at scientific conferences
- Experience in machine learning algorithms and/or applications
- Background and expertise in large-scale scientific computation
- Experience with PDE constrained optimization, including PDE discretizations, numerical optimization algorithm development and application
- Experience in parallel-in-time methods for numerical PDEs
The Optimization and Uncertainty Quantification Department provides leadership in the research, development, and application of scientific optimization and UQ algorithms and software. This high-performing team thrives in a reciprocal, highly multidisciplinary environment. Among the team's most recognized achievements is DAKOTA - a multilevel, parallel, object-oriented framework for design optimization, parameter estimation, uncertainty quantification, and sensitivity analyses. The team maintains partnerships at many levels and collaborates actively with other government institutions, universities and industry. We also host students and faculty from premier universities for extended visits through the Computer Science Research Institute ( http://www.cs.sandia.gov/CSRI/ ).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.