U.S. Army Acquisition Support Center Acquisition Key Billet- Product Manager or Acquisition Director in Huntsville, Alabama
About the Agency
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
(1) Key Billet Product Managers are chartered to provide materiel capabilities to Army or Joint customers. Product Managers are allocated resources to develop materiel solutions which achieve user requirements. They lead, direct and control the overall planning and execution of the work and resources required to develop, produce and sustain the programs, systems and associated products.
(2) Key Billet Directors are leaders of a major acquisition contracting or testing organizations. Contracting organizations may be either responsible for producing materiel or providing services for Army and Joint customers, Testing organizations are responsible for providing and operating facilities in order to conduct tests which ensure materiel solutions meet program or end user requirements.
DO NOT SUBMIT APPLICATIONS THROUGH THE USAJOBS LINK! YOU MUST FOLLOW PROCEDURES OUTLINED IN THE HOW TO APPLY SECTION OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Applications will be accepted only from current DoD competitive civil service Federal employees who are civilian DoD Acquisition Corps Members serving on Career/Career Conditional appointments.
- Current DoD civilian Acquisition Corps Members eligible for re-promotion to GS-14 or equivalent broadband converted grade.
- Current DoD civilian Acquisition Corps Members interested in lateral to GS-14 or change to lower grade from an equivalent broadband converted grade or SES.
- Must be Level II certified in Program Management or Contracting at the time of application.
Product Manager: Responsible for all matters relating to cost, schedule and performance for assigned program/system. Exercises technical and administrative program control and authority through various phases of systems development. Manages long range planning activities that include multi-year work plans. Exercises discretional authority to approve the allocation and distribution of funds within the organization's budget to best meet the program's objectives. Manages programs with risks and complexities characterized by compelling and conflicting requirements. Manages long range activities that include multi-year work plans that are products of subordinate organizational managers.
Acquisition Director (Contracting): Provides acquisition life cycle & readiness/sustainment support to Program Executive Offices, Program Managers, and Service/DLA buying Commands. Manages contractor cost, schedule and performance as the single face to industry for recapitalization, modernization, technology insertion and Warfighter operational readiness support. Provides source selection support, past performance, industrial base assessments, financial analysis, engineering, earned value and software validation, production and acceptance/delivery of spares, components assemblies & major weapon systems. Provides full range of acquisition management & command support. Manages industrial surge contract accelerations, alternate sourcing and mission critical direct deliveries to warfighters during national emergencies or critical military shortages.
Acquisition Director (Testing): Leads a Major Range and Test Facility Base (MRTFB). Plans, conducts, and reports the results of technical, developmental and operational testing of the full spectrum of DoD materiel, foreign materiel and commercial items. Responsible for an integrated workforce of civilian, military and contractor personnel, augmented during testing with civilians, contractors, and active duty Army Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines. Manages an annual multi-million dollar operating budget.
- 25% or Greater
- May be required to travel to overseas locations, including current theaters of operation.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
See "Who May Apply" Section Below
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- You must be a US citizen.
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience.
Experience required: To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: that experience related to matters in cost, schedule and performance for programs and/or systems for Product Manager positions or experience managing contractor cost, schedule & performance for Acquisition Director positions and experience planning, conducting and reporting the results of technical, developmental and operational testing of the full spectrum of DoD materiel, foreign materiel and commercial items for Acquisition Director (Testing) positions.
Time in Grade Requirement: These are DoD Demonstration Project positions. Under the Defense Authorization Act, personnel management demonstration programs are operating in numerous Army activities and various other organizations supported by Army civilian personnel centers. Under the streamlined personnel operations for demonstration projects, the familiar 15 General Schedule grade structure is replaced with broad bands that typically encompass a range of grades.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click herefor expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- You must be a current civilian employee of the Department of Defense.
- You must be a member of a DoD Acquisition Corps at the time of application.
- You must be certified at Level II in either Acquisition Career Field (ACF) A (Program Management) for Program Management Positions or ACF C (Contracting) for Contracting Positions.
- You must execute, as a condition of employment, a written statement to remain in the Federal service in this position for at least three years. In signing such agreement, the employee does not forfeit any terms or conditions of employment.
- Selection for and assignment to a centrally selected position may include Permanent Change of Station (PCS) to overseas locations, extensive travel and/or mobilization/deployment for service overseas. Information on benefits and entitlements for PCS and during travel and mobilization/ deployment may be found in the JTR and at www.opm.gov and www.cpol.army.mil.
- You must obtain and maintain a secret clearance investigation before you can be appointed into this position. Some positions can require a Top Secret security clearance and personnel must pass drug screening prior to hiring and will be subject to periodic and random drug testing thereafter in accordance with AR 600-85 and Department of Defense Directive 2010.9.
- You will be required to travel frequently.
- You may be required to complete an annual Financial Disclosure OGE-450.
What To Expect Next
Applications will be accepted from current DoD competitive civil service Federal employees who are civilian DoD Acquisition Corps members serving on Career/Career Conditional appointments. DoD employees who are Acquisition Corps members eligible for promotion/re-promotion to GS-14 or equivalent broadband converted grade and DoD employees who are Acquisition Corps Members interested in lateral to GS-14 or change to lower grade from an equivalent broadband converted grade or SES are eligible. The nature of action (promotion, reassignment, or change to lower grade) will be determined after the Selection Board convenes and you are paired to a participating organization covered by the General Schedule or Acquisition Demonstration Project. Your pay plan and grade for General Schedule organizations will be GS-14 and for organizations covered by the Acquisition Demonstration Project your broadband and grade will be NH-04.
Once your complete application is received it will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic qualification criteria. Eligible applicants will be referred to the Centrally Selected List (CSL) Board for consideration. The CSL Board meets approximately 18 (eighteen) months prior to actual placement of selectees on positions. Selectees are notified via their chain-of-command and/or by publication of the selection on the US Army Human Resources Command web page. Notification of selection can be expected approximately 120 - 180 days after the Board is convened with placement in the position in (approximately) July of 2018. Some applicants may be early activated to fill their assigned positions.
Successful applicants will be required to attend mandatory training required by the DoD/Army. Training required will be determined by the US Army Human Resources Command, Acquisition Management Branch. Some training may be for extended periods of up to 10 weeks.
Review our benefits
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- The materials you send with your application will not be returned.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Positions will be filled at multiple locations. The locations listed on the announcement are not all inclusive.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474346900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-08-30
Salary: $101,409 to $145,629 / per year
Pay scale & grade: NH 4
Series: 0340 Program Management
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: NEAS179999995007
Control number: 474346900