Defense Finance and Accounting Service Computer Assistant in Fort Irwin, California
About the Agency
DFAS' (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) mission is to lead the DoD (Department of Defense) in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas.
Who may apply: The following link will help you determine if you meet the eligibility to apply for this position: http://www.dfas.mil/careers/howtoapply/vacancyannouncement/appointment-eligibility.html
PLEASE NOTE: You will be considered only for those appointment eligibilities for which you select, attach supporting documentation and are found eligible.
The General Schedule (GS) basic pay schedule may vary by geographic locality. To view pay rates in a specific location visit the Office of Personnel Management pay tables at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/#url=2017
Positions are located at Fort Drum NY, Fort Irwin, CA, Fort Leavenworth KS, Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA, and Fort Jackson, SC
- Provides substantive systems support, computer maintenance and security/information assurance compliance to ensure network connectivity and access.
- Maintains accountability of computer equipment and coordinates with the support contractor to field new computers.
- Prepares documentation to request/terminate systems access and establishes new user accounts through the automated system.
- Performs daily back up functions, monitors the event logs for errors, and applies update packages.
- Assists users and finance systems personnel on computers, systems and server related issues such as ILAN access, applications, patches, email, peripherals, etc.
- Briefs new users on security requirements, provides quarterly security briefings in accordance with regulatory guidance, monitors and enforces computer security and resolves non-compliance issues.
- Performs Terminal Area Security Officer (TASO) duties for all Finance, Travel, and Disbursing systems.
- Prepares and submits system generated reports.
- Update Standard Operating Procedures in accordance with regulatory guidance and policies.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- Must be a U.S Citizen or National
- Background Investigation
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for federal employment
- Served 3 months after initial competitive appointment into Federal Service
- Obtain/Maintain Cybersecurity Certification
One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-06) in the federal service.
Specialized experience is defined as: assisting in computer hardware and software support to an organization, including troubleshooting and assisting in repair and maintenance of system applications and hardware..
Examples of Specialized Experience Include: assistance with hardware or software problems; assistance with access; assisting in gathering data for reports; and assisting in the development of technical information and instructions to customers and supervisors.) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. One full year of graduate level education may be substituted to meet the specialized experience required when it is directly related to the work of the position being filled. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. If you are using education to substitute for the specialized experience, you must submit transcripts at the time you apply. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
GS-07 (1-grade interval) Substitution of Education for Experience: One full year of graduate level education may be substituted to meet the specialized experience required when it is directly related to the work of the position being filled. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. If you are using education to substitute for the specialized experience, you must submit transcripts at the time you apply. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
Time-in-Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks, must meet the time in grade requirement. Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-06 or higher grade in Federal Service. Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service. Background or Security Investigation: This is a non-critical sensitive position. The position requires secret access. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
What To Expect Next
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Review our benefits
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses will notbe paid.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Non Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is seldom 1-24%.
- This position is not covered by a bargaining unit.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives)
- Per DFAS 8570.01-I, as a CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT, this position requires the selected candidate to obtain and maintain a DoD-approved baseline Cybersecurity certification, applicable workforce qualification requirements, and, if applicable computing environment certificate. The selected candidate must meet these requirements within six (6) months after entry on duty. Failure to do so may lead to removal from the Federal service
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474596100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-07-28
Salary: $40,684 to $59,600 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 7
Series: 0335 Computer Clerk And Assistant
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: ML-10014516-17
Control number: 474596100